Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Zion and Vegas

Leaving Moab was hard, but the show must go on.  I set sail for Zion National Park with the hopes of hiking and exploring for the next few days, but as I pulled in to town, it was deja vu from Arches Ntl Park.  Full of Cruise America rental campers and herds of tourists.  I stopped at a little gas station outside of the park and talked to the guy behind the counter for about an hour about where to camp outside of the park and my best options.  Again, I was given vague directions (which I'm starting to enjoy) to Bridge Rd. in Rockville and was simply told "stay left".  I find myself staring at another hill that I'm not too thrilled about rallying up, but yet again, I have no place to turn around.  I point it and send it about halfway up to a pull off with two other groups of people camping and pull in.  Murphy is not happy.  I ask the groups if they mind me camping between them that night and offer them some Breckenridge Brew as a thank you, to which nobody declined.  I ended up hanging out with a group of guys from all over the U.S. that meet up every year to reconnect.  After passing multiple bottles of booze around and getting to know each other, I head to bed.

I wake up nice and early and decide to hike up to this ghost town I heard about.  I head up the dirt road and realize that if I had tried to climb it, Murphy would probably still be stuck there today.  After about two hours of hiking, a tour group on 4-wheelers drives by and I flag them down to ask about the ghost town.  Of course I had taken a wrong turn a few miles back, so again I was given very vague directions and headed that way.  I never did find the ghost town, but I did find a dead-end path that looked out over the whole valley.  The views were unreal and I could even see where I parked my van a few miles down.  I had lunch with Hobbes on that perch and we headed back down, sunburnt and tired.  I packed up the van and decided to head towards vegas.  My dad was having a biopsy the following day and needed a little help at work and i definitely needed to make some money.  I'll be back for Zion at the end of my trip, just not on a weekend…


I spend my nights writing in my journal so I don't forget any incredible moments along the way

Hobbes scoping out the scenery.  Huge thanks to Off-Leash k9 Training for helping mold Hobbes into a perfect travel buddy, this trip would't be the same without your help.  I'm forever in debt to you

The view form our little perch.  No ghost town, but amazing nonetheless

Utah Werewolf. Only $900

My buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment